381 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
KP217
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello. I have two tables. Project has a date field "submit date." It is linked by the "Project ID" field in Project to the "Project" field in timelines.. Linked records in the "timelines" table vary on category (color team), with one called "submit.". Each timeline entry has a date associated with it. When the "submit date" is updated in Project, it should update the "submit" entry for that project with the new date.

I am having difficulty making an automation for this.

Step 1: When a record is updated. 

KP217_0-1710507306945.png

Step 2: Find records. Find records in the timelines table where the color team is "submit" and the project matches the project from the Projects table

KP217_1-1710507425013.png

There is something wrong with this step but I don't know what it is.

Step 3: Update record

This would update the submit date in the Timelines table, but I can't seem to get there.

Could I get some advice on how to finish this automation?

Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for the details!

When filtering for the correct linked project, try using "Has any of" and using the record ID of the triggering record instead:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 2.53.05 PM.png

And for your update record step your input step shows that your "Record ID" is "_XXXX", which indicates you manually keyed that in?  I'm afraid you can't do that and you need to use the record ID that results from the "Find Record" action, and you can read about how to do that here: https://support.airtable.com/docs/linking-existing-records-using-automations

And so it'd look something like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 2.53.09 PM.png

And you can find the base setup here

  

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

May I know what error you get with the Find Record step?  Could you provide screenshots of the Project table and the Timelines table as well? 

KP217
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Here is the error

The test automation is using sample project XXXX to find the record.

KP217_0-1710521543031.png

Here is the record in the timelines table. I updated it to 4/5 but it did not update the corresponding record in the Projects table

KP217_2-1710521190298.png

KP217_1-1710521134623.png

Thank you for your help!

Did you retest the automation starting from the trigger?

Is your update action inside a repeating group that loops over the results of the Find action?

Thank you for the details!

When filtering for the correct linked project, try using "Has any of" and using the record ID of the triggering record instead:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 2.53.05 PM.png

And for your update record step your input step shows that your "Record ID" is "_XXXX", which indicates you manually keyed that in?  I'm afraid you can't do that and you need to use the record ID that results from the "Find Record" action, and you can read about how to do that here: https://support.airtable.com/docs/linking-existing-records-using-automations

And so it'd look something like this:

Screenshot 2024-03-16 at 2.53.09 PM.png

And you can find the base setup here

  

KP217
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thank you for the detailed reply! I did not choose the XXX project manually. That was a test record as prompted within the automation for testing purposes.  Your solution worked for me! Thanks so much for your help!