cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Abbey_Matye
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Sorry if something similar has been posted already - 

I'm hoping to figure out an automation where when a record on one lable is labled (via checked checkbox) as a primary contact, that record links to the "primary contact" linked record field on a different table. 

In a perfect world, this could coincide with an automation where if the primary contact changes (a record is unchecked), that record is unlinked, and replaced with the new record.

Or - is this possible to do with conditional formatting at all? I can provide screenshots if that would be helpful!

Thanks all!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hm, for your purposes you don't need to do this at all actually.  You can display the primary contact details in your "Artists" table by:
1. Creating a lookup field in the "Artists" table that displays the data you want from the "Shows" table
2. Make that lookup field conditional, and to only display data where "Primary Contact" is checked

This'll do what you need without an automation or that "Primary Contact" linked field

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hmm, could you provide screenshots of the relevant tables and an example scenario as well please?  Should be doable!

Sorry for the late reply - the notification that someone replied in the thread got buried in my email!

Linked below is a screen recording of the current work process between the main Artist (ie Group) table and the Artist Contacts (ie Individuals in the Group) table. Right now, when I add an artist and their contacts, I have to go back and physically link who the primary contact is, and go back and forth if the primary contact changes. Ideally, I'd love to have an automation where the primary contact is automatically linked on the main Artist table when starred on the Artist Contact table, and (this may need to be a separate automation?) automatically update the linked contact when the primary contact changes.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aD33Y1o37CxVzszm1eqM06me_Hx7oQKx/view?usp=sharing 

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Hm, for your purposes you don't need to do this at all actually.  You can display the primary contact details in your "Artists" table by:
1. Creating a lookup field in the "Artists" table that displays the data you want from the "Shows" table
2. Make that lookup field conditional, and to only display data where "Primary Contact" is checked

This'll do what you need without an automation or that "Primary Contact" linked field

I knew there had to be a way with conditional formatting!! For whatever reason, I had it in my head that the tables wouldn't talk to each other without it being a linked record. This worked perfectly, thank you so much!