Help

Copy multiple values from a lookup field to a linked record field with an automation

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
200 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HeidiFogle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This doesn't seem difficult in theory, but I can't figure out a way to make it happen with automations.

Situation: In my Training Feedback table, I have a lookup field "Trainer (from Training Taken)" (a lookup from the Master Training List table), from which I need to copy over the field values to the linked record field "Trainer" (linked to the Trainers table), so I can associate trainer feedback data directly with the trainer(s) in other places in my base. The problem is when there are multiple trainers (i.e. multiple values in the lookup field). When attempting a simple transfer of field values to the linked record field using an Update Record automation, the automation fails for multiple trainers. I tried a repeating list automation to Update Record for each trainer in the list of "Trainer (from Training Taken)", but that results in only the final value in the list of trainers being added to the linked record "Trainer" field, since the automation overwrites the value each time it repeats the process. Does anyone have any ideas for other methods I could try to get all of my data from field to field? Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

re: When attempting a simple transfer of field values to the linked record field using an Update Record automation, the automation fails for multiple trainers.

Sigh yeah, it's a weird one.  You can't use the initial IDs it gives you in the lookup:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.00 PM.png
You have to click in to "Linked record" and then use the "ID" there:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.40 PM.png

That'll do what you need

Link to base

   

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
jsep
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

They should be no problem linking multiple records into the "Trainer" field

1. Make sure you "Allow linking to multiple records" in the Trainer field

jsep_1-1712786031041.png

2. In the update record action, make sure is a list of ID's.

If the trainers come from a field, should look like this

jsep_2-1712786120110.png

If the trainers is using Find Records

jsep_4-1712786350757.png

This should work and if you need help implementing or with other things, feel free to schedule a 15min call with me

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

re: When attempting a simple transfer of field values to the linked record field using an Update Record automation, the automation fails for multiple trainers.

Sigh yeah, it's a weird one.  You can't use the initial IDs it gives you in the lookup:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.00 PM.png
You have to click in to "Linked record" and then use the "ID" there:

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.25 PM.png

Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 12.04.40 PM.png

That'll do what you need

Link to base

   

HeidiFogle
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you, Adam! That did the trick!