944 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janssen
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This seems like a pretty basic operation and I'm sure it's been discussed however I haven't really found anything that looks "canonical", as it were. 

I simply want to add an event to a Google Calendar when a date is chosen in a field. I played around with Zapier a bit but it didn't allow me to select any of the relevant fields from the table, namely the date and address. 

I don't mind digging in and making an effort to get something to work but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. 

4 Replies 4
Elyes80
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello Jansen,

You can totally do that with Zapier/Make, make sure to test each action in order to be able to select your data in each step (check this video). 

You can also do it with Airtable sync feature, create your calendar in Airtable and sync it onto google calendar (Check this video).

Hope it helps.

Airtable has a guide about this you can find here

@Janssen 

You mentioned Zapier, but I would not recommend using Zapier. I would always recommend using Make over Zapier.

The main problems that I have with Zapier are best described by discussing the main advantages that Make has over Zapier:

1. Make has none of the limitations that Zapier has. Just as one example out of dozens of examples, Zapier only allows 3 conditional branches, whereas Make allows unlimited conditional branches. Also, Make has a purely visual drag-and-drop environment that makes it much easier to visualize entire automations.

2. Make is SIGNIFICANTLY more powerful than Zapier. Probably a million times more powerful. Lol. For example, Make has an entire library of hundreds of functions & tools built into the platform that let you manipulate your data in ways that Zapier doesn't allow at all -- including groups of Airtable records at once, which Zapier also doesn't allow.

3. Make is SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than Zapier, even though it is way more powerful than Zapier.

4. Make has much better tech support than Zapier.

However, the one downside to Make is that there can be a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video for Make, along with providing the link to Make’s free training courses. There are also many Make experts hanging out there who can answer other Make questions.

Great, this looks like the most straight forward approach. The Airtable doc I found earlier before I posted this question said specifically that you can only sync from Google Calendar to Airtable, it must have been and old doc or I misunderstood.