cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jordan_M
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Morning everyone,

I have a couple of questions about this solution posted by @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo (Thanks Adam, it works really well!): Create records from multiple select field choices

Question 1: Is there a way to populate a field in the new table using data from the multi select? Using the example base linked in the topic above, I would like the 2nd table to look like this after running:
Exampe 1

Question 2: Is there a similar function for linked records? I have done the below manually, but the initial table would like this, and then would have the same output on table two:

Thanks,
Jordan

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi @Jordan_M! I’m glad I was able to help

I think the simplest way to handle that would be to add a formula field like so:

SUBSTITUTE(
  Name,
  {Table 1} & " - ",
  ""
)

Which would result in:
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 10.09.05 PM

And here’s the base

Same applies for the linked field version I reckon

If you absolutely need a select field, then Mohamad_Swellam’s suggestion re: a script or external service would be the way to go

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4

Hi @Jordan_M ,

For question 1:
The short answer is yes, but you need to create a script for that.

Another way would be to use Zapier (specifically Looping by Zapier) to achieve that.

For question 2:
This would be the same as the multi select.

TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi @Jordan_M! I’m glad I was able to help

I think the simplest way to handle that would be to add a formula field like so:

SUBSTITUTE(
  Name,
  {Table 1} & " - ",
  ""
)

Which would result in:
Screenshot 2022-11-10 at 10.09.05 PM

And here’s the base

Same applies for the linked field version I reckon

If you absolutely need a select field, then Mohamad_Swellam’s suggestion re: a script or external service would be the way to go

Y’all are awesome, this is perfect!

Just for anyone else that happens to read this in the future, I utilized the “calculation” field to populate the drop down. It may not be the most elegant way, but it does what I want and doesn’t involve script or Zapier!

The basic idea is a separate automation: when a record is created in table two, it updates the “option” single select field to what is in the “calculation” field.

Here is the base with the automation, hopefully I share this correctly: Updated base

Thank you to both @Adam_TheTimeSavingCo and @Mohamed_Swellam !!!

@Jordan_M Thank you for sharing this base. I've been looking at ways to build the perfect QA checklist. I'm not sure exactly how your table will fix that issue, but I think it's close. Some way to Connect a checklist; select all the checklist items, and it autogenerates in to a new table.