937 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
le_Labo_M
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello everyone! Are there any Automator document users here?

I'm trying to create a document that picks up fields from a find record from a view to put into a Google Docs, except the layout is not respected: the \n line break character in Airtable does not seem to be recognized: do you know how to make a line break as in the Airtable view?

Line breaks are coming from a ARRAYJOIN({Lookup},"\n")

Thanks for all your advice!

4 Replies 4

I tried this out a bit and it feels like when you do an "Update Doc" action the line breaks get respected, but when you do "Created" it's not?  Reckon you should open a support ticket about this as this feels buggy

Data:

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 6.43.46 PM.png

Google doc updated via automation

Screenshot 2023-02-04 at 6.44.07 PM.png

Thanks for the answer ! Good idea I will try to have it solved by the support team and I'll keep you updated !

le_Labo_M

Hi everyone,

I have contacted the support at the beginning of last month about this problem : it took some time for them to admit there was a problem. They first told me it was the "expected behavior", but then I spoke about the working "update document" automation : in the end they told me that they are not ready to work on it...

They gave me a workaround that is not suitable (too much work for many fields, with one automation for each...). Here is the loom they sent me :

https://www.loom.com/share/8e5e3a5ece144746b4aa977b52e8de60

and then the last message :

With regards to your query of why this works in the update action but not the create action, at this time, this functionality is not supported with the create action. Our team is aware of this limitation and it is something we are hoping to improve upon in the future but at this time, there is no timeline set for if/when this will become available.

I'm quite disppointed with this answer and don't know what to do next.

Do you know what I can do ?

Thanks for your advice !

Guilhem

PS: if needed I can give ore details about my use case.

Because of the many limitations with Airtabke’s native Google Docs automation, I typically recommend that people use Make’s Google Docs automations.

Since their modules support HTML code, you would just use normal HTML code in your Airtable formulas to represent your line breaks. (You may want to create additional formulas in your Airtable base that are used solely for these automations.)

When using HTML, you can get a line break through one of these methods:

<br><br>

or

<p></p>

There are probably other ways, too.

There can be a bit of a learning curve with Make, which is why I created this basic navigation video for Make, along with providing the link to Make’s free training courses.

p,s. If you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with any of this, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld