3596 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chloe_M
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way to have the Google Doc automation create documents from a pre-existing template?

I want to set up the new automation to generate letters, however, I need them to have a specific header and footer. If there was a functionality to select a template that would be great. But if anyone knows of a way to generate that on Google’s App Script end that would be super helpful!

3 Replies 3

I don’t know scripting, but most people go low-code with this by using something like Make.com or On2Air: Actions. You could also use DocuMint, which has its own document template editor.

Hey Chloe,

You can create headers, footers, and add other elements to single or multiple templates by using On2Air Google Documents.

Here’s an example:
Create Automated Invoices in Google Docs and Airtable (+Free Template)

And here’s a comparison of On2Air Google Docs vs. Airtable Google Docs automation

On2Air Google Docs vs Airtable Google Docs

4 - Data Explorer

I've been down the Google Docs automation road before, and I totally get your need for specific headers and footers. While Google Docs automation doesn't have a direct template selection feature, you can definitely achieve this using Google Apps Script.

Here's a cool workaround: You can create your old letter template in Google Docs with the header and footer you want. Then, when you automate the generation of letters using Google Apps Script, you can make a copy of this template and populate it with the dynamic content you need. This way, each letter will have the desired header and footer.