214 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mmarley
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I've currently got an automation set to pull text fields from multiple records as a list into a Google doc. However, I'd like for the field names to not generate in the Google doc, just the content of the field. The hope is to compile text with less need for formatting/deleting of the field names.

Example of how the field names and field contents are pulling in now:

TITLE (field name)

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs (field contents)

STORY SNIPPET (field name)

In a picturesque moment captured by onlookers, a quick brown fox elegantly vaulted over several lethargic canines in its haste to escape a pursuing hunter. (field contents)

Is there an easy way to do this that I'm just missing?

4 Replies 4

Just to confirm, you're using the "Google Docs - Create Doc" action, is that right?

Hi,
You should better describe your automation, step with Google Docs action with Content window. 
I never used Google Docs features here, but when I just tried, It copied values and no fieldnames.

Yes, that's the automation. A bit more about how the automation's set up (plus screenshots):

Trigger: at a set time every weekday

1. Create record in Table A using specific fields (a single select option, a line of text & calendar field using triggered time)

2-9. Eight find records finding different options on the same single select in Table A where a checkmark is unchecked and date is on or before today

10. Create Google Doc with the eight lists of found records inserted at appropriate points (below different section headlines, this is newsletter text essentially) pulling in the title and snippet text fields from records in each list

11. Update the record created in action #1 with the Google Doc link, 'assigning' a user via a user field, and checkmarking the box mentioned above

12. Send an email with the Google Doc link and Airtable record link

13. Find all records without the checkmark box checked

14. Repeat for all in the list of records found in action #13: checkmark the box

If there are more relevant details not listed above or they are unclear, let me know--working with writers & editors and the business/tech side of things, I sometimes talk past or confuse both sides, haha.

Roger that, thanks for the confirmation!  I don't think you're missing anything I'm afraid

As a workaround, perhaps you could try:
1. Create a formula field in your "Story Planning List" table which outputs the text the way you want:
  - The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dogs (field contents)

In a picturesque moment captured by onlookers, a quick brown fox elegantly vaulted over several lethargic canines in its haste to escape a pursuing hunter. (field contents)
2. Use the results of that field instead in your "Create Doc" action.  You'd then have only one field header per record in Google Docs?

If you don't want the field headers at all it's possible but would take a bit more setup:
1. Create the formula field mentioned above
2. Create a new table called "Summaries" or something and link it to "Story Planning List" where each record is a category, and link it to the appropriate stories from "Story Planning List"
3. Create a rollup field in "Summaries" to display the values from the field from Step 1
4. In the "Google Docs - Create Doc" automation, use the rollup field to display the values