Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Having Records from Two Sheets Reflect Each Other

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
1339 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haydenhenders0n
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi everyone, I am not sure if what I'm trying to do is even possible, but hopefully it is!

I am improving my office's Airtable and I have two sheets, for simplicity we will call them "Places Sheet" and "People Sheet" (these are what the records under each are). Under the People sheet, I have a column where one or more Places are linked when relevant. Now, I would like a column in the Places Sheet that shows me which People (ideally through a Linked Record) have that Place as a linked record on the People Sheet. So, in effect, when Record A from the People Sheet links to Record B from the Places Sheet in a specific field, Record B also links back to Record A.

I could go through and do this for each individual, but some People have more than one Place linked to them, and there's well over 1000 records under the People Sheet and over 300 records under the Places Sheet, so I'm really hoping I can automate this process.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
alexmcdonnell
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Assuming that the People table has the Places data in something like a Single select or Text field - You can go to your People table and just change the Places column to a Linked Record and point to the Places table. 

This will convert the data to Linked Records pointing to the Places table. If there are any Places in the Places field on the People table that were not already on the Places table, those will be added as new records. 

If the Person was associated to multiple places and those places were separated by commas in a Text field or separate options on a multi-select, then multiple links will be recognized. 

Magic! Hope that helps!

alexmcdonnell_0-1691607684752.png

alexmcdonnell_1-1691607704337.png

alexmcdonnell_2-1691607717979.png

alexmcdonnell_3-1691607726652.png

alexmcdonnell_4-1691607735400.png

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
faiz78644

Hello, haydenhenders0n

I think you want to implement adjacent linking between two table.
For this you have to create a "link to column" in both table and if you want to allow multiple linking records
so you have to click on "Allow linking multiple record".

I also attach screen shot please check it

Thanks
faiz

faiz78644_0-1691474351492.png

faiz78644_1-1691474444316.png

Yes this is what I would like to do, but is there a way to do this so I don't have to manually link each record?

Assuming the data for where each person is placed already exists in the "People" table, and said place names don't contain commas in them, you could just copy that data and paste it into the linked field to the "Places" table?

alexmcdonnell
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Assuming that the People table has the Places data in something like a Single select or Text field - You can go to your People table and just change the Places column to a Linked Record and point to the Places table. 

This will convert the data to Linked Records pointing to the Places table. If there are any Places in the Places field on the People table that were not already on the Places table, those will be added as new records. 

If the Person was associated to multiple places and those places were separated by commas in a Text field or separate options on a multi-select, then multiple links will be recognized. 

Magic! Hope that helps!

alexmcdonnell_0-1691607684752.png

alexmcdonnell_1-1691607704337.png

alexmcdonnell_2-1691607717979.png

alexmcdonnell_3-1691607726652.png

alexmcdonnell_4-1691607735400.png

Perfect, this worked, thank you!