986 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jk_neumann
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a quick way to switch which record is the test input for a script automation? Can’t seem to figure out how to change it, but makes it hard to build out a new automation on existing data if you don’t want to force modify old data! Currently, I’m trying to write an automation that is triggered when a form is submitted, but it’s testing on a row that wasn’t created by that form, which means nothing works quite like it should (nor should it!)

3 Replies 3
jk_neumann
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Update that I found a question/answer here: How to Select a Specific Record for Automation Testing
But I would really appreciate this being more controllable, to more easily test a variety of possible inputs.

The easiest method is to temporarily switch the trigger to a “when record meets conditions” field based off a checkbox field. Then, after you are happy with all of the actions, switch the trigger of the automation.

Orun_Bhuiyan
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

This might be a newer feature, but you can now set the test record in the automation set up.

• Select your automation and open it into the flowchart view (not the actual script editor)
  • Click the conditions step you have set up in the visual flowchart
  • In the right properties panel, scroll down to the section called “Test Step”
  • By default it’s set to “Use Suggested Record”, but you can change it by selecting “Choose Record”

test-automation

I’m really glad Airtable added this feature. In my use case, it was so critical to catching some records whose content didn’t match my regex (95% of them worked correctly, but a few slipped through the cracks due to unicode characters submitted in my Airtable form).