11911 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gordon_Rothman
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

My base has a field formatted for URLs. When I use automation to send the URL for a given record, how do I make that reference a clickable link in the email? It looks like I should be able to do that with Markdown, but I haven’t figured out the details. Thanks in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Markdown uses parenthesis around the URL, not brackets.

(Also, the preview panel will only reveal markdown hyperlinks. I think that a URL on its own will need to be interpreted by the receiving email client.)

See Solution in Thread

12 Replies 12

Welcome to the Airtable community!

Look at the support page for Markdown in Airtable.

The syntax for a markdown link is

[text to display](https://my.url.com)

Hi Kuovonne. I’m sorry, I don’t understand. I don’t have a static URL; I want my email automation to use whatever URL is in the URL field for a given record and send that as a hyperlink in the email. How do I apply this, please?

When you compose your email in the automation, include the field with the url inside the parentheses for the url.

thanks! I’ll give that a shot

Thanks again for your help. The URL appears, but it’s not as a hyperlink; just as text.

If I just insert the field into the email (no markdown at all), it always shows up as a clickable link on my receiving end. However, it’s possible that this is a result of my different email clients (Apple Mail, Gmail app for iOS) interpreting the URL and turning it into a link, so this might not actually be the solution. What email client are you using for receiving?

Try sharing some screen shots of your automation configuration, your record data, and what the email preview looks like.

Be sure to retest each each step of the automation, including the trigger.

I’m receiving on MS Outlook

These should be snapshots of the Automation Action field, the URL field in the base, and the email received when triggered. I tried it with and without the Markdown syntax. Thanks for your help!

automation action
links in URL field
received email

Markdown uses parenthesis around the URL, not brackets.

(Also, the preview panel will only reveal markdown hyperlinks. I think that a URL on its own will need to be interpreted by the receiving email client.)

YES!!! Thank you ScottWorld and Kuovonne!!

I've tried this, but when I click on the URL in the email preview it brings me to a broken airtable site, instead of the actual URL...