cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_Ubbi
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello! 

I work for a manufacturer that deals with many SKUs of products. We have a form to let designers know when new products are being ordered so they can check and make sure if any packaging needs to be updated. When we place an order, we typically order multiple SKUs at a time. Currently the form has a field where the submitter has to place the SKU numbers separated by a comma (10001, 10002, 10003, etc). 

Ideally I would love for the data to separate the single record into multiple records by those SKU numbers. So 10001 would have its own record, 10002 the same, so on and so forth. All of the other information on the form would be the same in the record, it would just be easier for us to track and update everything if they records were separated. 

I saw some other posts on here doing similar things, but not exactly what I'm looking for. Also open to doing this a completely different way if that would be easier. I'm guessing this would take some coding to make happen and thats definitely not my strong suit ;-).

Thanks! Happy to provide more information if that would help!

5 Replies 5

There are probably better ways of setting this up, such as using a linked record field which lets you add multiple items (one item per line), or by using a form tool like Cognito Forms which allows the user to add multiple lines as well (and then using Make to iterate through the array to send the data into Airtable).

If you go with the linked record field idea, you could use Airtable’s automations to loop through the linked record field and create new records.

However, if you stick with the comma separated text field, you would need to write JavaScript code or use Make to split the data into an array, and then loop through the array to create the new records.

It would take me a significant amount of time to outline all the steps involved with each one of these options, but if your company has a budget to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you do all of this in the best possible way, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

Thanks for your response! This is all a little bit over my head, but I am going to talk to my manager and see what they think about moving forward with some help or getting into these apps. 

Again, appreciate it!

Screen Recording 2023-07-10 at 10.31.10 PM.gif

Link to base

You can do this by creating a formula field that'll create a unique value per SKU, and then using an automation to paste that value into a linked field, and in the base above I'm using the record ID to make sure they're unique

Thanks for this. What formula did you use?

Nevermind - I was able to duplicate the base. In case anyone else wants to see the formula, it's here: 

IF(
AND({Record Id}, {SKUs}),
{Record Id} & "|" &
SUBSTITUTE(
{SKUs},
", ",
"," & {Record Id} & "|"
)
)

Thanks!