cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mick_Godwin
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi AT Community,

I'm creating an automation email within Airtable that uses percentage field data from my table.  I have set the precision to one decimal place (1.0) in the field column. 

However, when testing the automation, the preview shows that the token data percentage with 10 decimals (1.000000000), which looks ridiculous. 

Anyone know why this is happening? 

I know the workaround is a single-line entry, but I'd prefer to be able to enter the data as the percentage number, as that's how the information comes to us.

Appreciate your help!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

The "decimal precision" you  set on a column ,  determines only the formatting you see in Airtable. The underlying number remains the  actual complete number up to the length that the database allows. This is in case  you want  to change the decimal precision.

Looks like the second screenshot is a body of an email or similar? Best would be to format the data at destination, e.g. if you are using an external tool. In case this is e.g. email inside automations - I don't think there are any formulas to format it there.

Solution could be to have a formula field, which uses  ROUND(value, precision) .   If you use that field in Automations, it will output the number as text visible as result of the formula - meaning with decimals you need.

Let me know if that helps?

See Solution in Thread

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hm, perhaps you could try adding a formula field with a `ROUND()` or other equivalent and using that for your automation instead?

See Solution in Thread

8 Replies 8
Greg_F
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

The "decimal precision" you  set on a column ,  determines only the formatting you see in Airtable. The underlying number remains the  actual complete number up to the length that the database allows. This is in case  you want  to change the decimal precision.

Looks like the second screenshot is a body of an email or similar? Best would be to format the data at destination, e.g. if you are using an external tool. In case this is e.g. email inside automations - I don't think there are any formulas to format it there.

Solution could be to have a formula field, which uses  ROUND(value, precision) .   If you use that field in Automations, it will output the number as text visible as result of the formula - meaning with decimals you need.

Let me know if that helps?

TheTimeSavingCo
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hm, perhaps you could try adding a formula field with a `ROUND()` or other equivalent and using that for your automation instead?

Great, thanks Greg.  That's the solution and good to know why it was happening.  To extend on it, I'll hide the formula field to keep the base a little cleaner.

That's it.  Thanks Adam.  Appreciate it.

Pierre-Alexand2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi, I am having the same problem, but the round formula does not solve the problem for me. I even tried to converting the number to text with de concatenate formula but nothing seems to work.

Screen Shot 2023-06-28 at 1.04.37 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-28 at 1.05.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-28 at 1.04.59 PM.pngScreen Shot 2023-06-28 at 1.05.52 PM.png

@Pierre-Alexand2 Could you share a screenshot of the relevant fields?

Hi @TheTimeSavingCo, here is a screenshot of the 3 fields involved.

Screen Shot 2023-06-29 at 9.11.31 AM.png

Hm, the issue you described in your post doesn't appear to be occuring in the screenshot so I don't understand the problem.  In your screenshot the rounding seems to have worked fine?