Help

Re: Please Help! Needing Assistince with Copying Records from one Table to Another (Automatically)

430 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcirone
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello! I am really hoping someone may be able to assist me with getting data entered from a record in a specific column in one table, can generate a record in another table, with that data.. 

For Example:

- We have Engineers who enter their Projected monthly forecasts for CIP (Capital Investment Projects) all at once, each record indicates a month. These Engineers enter about 1 years worth of estimated budget amounts, so we are talking multiple records. 

I specifically want to capture the data entered in the "Forecast Amount" Column of this table, to auto-generate, or copy that data to another table titled "Submitted Forecast". Additionally, I would like the DOF (Date of Forecast) to display on the record that is copied over to the Submitted Forecast Table. 

Can ANYONE assist me with this request please?! I would so deeply appreciate any input. 

Thank you,

Jordan

4 Replies 4
Blake_D
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Is the main table how all of the data is being entered? 

If they are just loading it all into individual month fields, you can have an automation that creates records (each record could be Project_Month) after all desired boxes are filled. 

If they are submitting the data via a form, from the submitted table, you can have an automation that updates the month field attached to the Project based off what is submitted in the form. This would give you the list you want in the submitted table while also filling out the CIP table. 

If this does not what you were looking for, I may need a little more information about the base.

Hello,

Thank you for your response! Here's a bit more information for what I am trying to accomplish. 
1. Engineers enter dollar amounts in the "Forecast Amount" Column, in the "Forecasting" Table. 
2. I want that dollar amount entered in that column, to COPY over to another table titled "Submitted Forecat", in the "Submitted Forecast Amount" column. 

Blake_D
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

If I understand what you are asking for, an automation to Create or Update a record in the "Forecasting" table when the "Forecast Amount" in the CIP table is updated, could be a potential option.  

I'd suggest using lookup fields for this.  Try creating an automation that'll trigger whenever a record gets created in "Forecast Amount", and its action will be to create a record in "Submitted Forecast".  With a lookup field to display the "Forecast Amount" column you should be good to go:

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 9.45.33 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 9.45.31 AM.png

Screenshot 2024-07-24 at 9.45.18 AM.png

Link to base

===
I'm curious about the business logic here though; may I know why you want them to be in different tables instead of using views to handle it?  Is it that you need to provide access to specific fields to certain users or something?