970 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kenneth_Klabund
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I am trying to figure out how to auto-populate fields in my Projects table using text from the linked Procedures table – preferably using some type of “apply procedure” button.

The Project table has two text field: Project Name and Project Details. There is also a field that links the Project to one of our Procedures. The Procedure table stores default text for the project name and project details that I want to apply to the new project when we specify the procedure to use.

After the fields are pre-populated with the default from the chosen procedure, I need these text fields to remain editable from that point forward so we can customize the work as needed for each client.

Not sure if this can be done outside of a script? Or if anyone has seen a script like this? Thanks!
Screen Shot 2022-10-03 at 4.00.41 AM

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Kenneth, you could create an automation that would trigger when a Project record is linked to a Procedure record AND its Project Name and Project Details fields were empty, and it would grab the relevant values from the linked Procedure record and paste it into appropriate fields for the Project record that triggered it

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
TheTimeSavingCo
17 - Neptune
17 - Neptune

Hi Kenneth, you could create an automation that would trigger when a Project record is linked to a Procedure record AND its Project Name and Project Details fields were empty, and it would grab the relevant values from the linked Procedure record and paste it into appropriate fields for the Project record that triggered it

Thanks, Adam. I think I know how to do what you described. When building the automation, can I look through to the Procedures table to find the fields needed, or do the relevant fields need to be first added to the Projects table as Lookup fields?

Down to your preference, really

I’d lean towards the former as then you wouldn’t have to have extra fields in your Projects table

Totally agree! I thought it was necessary and it creates too many extra fields. Thank you!