Help

Problem with Update Record: I want to add onto what's there without erasing the field

Topic Labels: Automations
Solved
Jump to Solution
1062 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andreanne_St-Ge
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi everyone !

I have a list of bars associated with internal funding codes. Then, on another tab, I have a list of projects and each one of them is associated with a particular internal funding code. On that tab, there is also a column name “List of bars”, where I’de like to have a list or a field including all the bars that were tagged with the specific internal funding code associated with the projet.

Right now, I’ve tested automations used “Update record” and even “Create record”. The link works : If I input the internal funding code to a particular bar, it will show up in the list of bars on my second tab. However, instead of ADDIND this new bar to the list, it erases what is already there and only update the latest bar associated with my internal funding code.

So, here I am, wondering if there’s is a way to do what I want to do with this.

Thanks a lot for the help !

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hmm, is there a reason why you don’t simply link the two tables normally (especially considering you already have the two tables linked, you’ve just hidden the field in the first screenshot) instead of using a dropdown and an automation?

You can in theory then replace the “Financement” field in the first screenshot with a lookup based on the linked Financement record. And you wouldn’t have to worry about the automation.

However, to answer your question directly, I think instead of altering the record in the Financement table, I’d update the record in “Liste des bars”, and you would set it up as:

Trigger
On record update
Actions
Find records in “Financement” that match Record 1 Financement field
Update Record 1, Financement Link field with Record 2 record id

Alternatively, if you want everything as is, just the exact fix you’re looking for, what you need to do add the existing value of the field that you’re updating, something like the (replace “Article Type” with “Liste des bars”:

Note: I haven’t tested out this last solution to see what delimiter Airtable uses for list items, so it may be a comma, a semi-colon, or maybe just a space.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Andy_Lin1
9 - Sun
9 - Sun

Hmm, is there a reason why you don’t simply link the two tables normally (especially considering you already have the two tables linked, you’ve just hidden the field in the first screenshot) instead of using a dropdown and an automation?

You can in theory then replace the “Financement” field in the first screenshot with a lookup based on the linked Financement record. And you wouldn’t have to worry about the automation.

However, to answer your question directly, I think instead of altering the record in the Financement table, I’d update the record in “Liste des bars”, and you would set it up as:

Trigger
On record update
Actions
Find records in “Financement” that match Record 1 Financement field
Update Record 1, Financement Link field with Record 2 record id

Alternatively, if you want everything as is, just the exact fix you’re looking for, what you need to do add the existing value of the field that you’re updating, something like the (replace “Article Type” with “Liste des bars”:

Note: I haven’t tested out this last solution to see what delimiter Airtable uses for list items, so it may be a comma, a semi-colon, or maybe just a space.

Andreanne_St-Ge

Hi ! Thanks for the reply. It works just fine now ! :blush: