Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Re: Subsequent dates in rows

756 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ajhjcpdowntown
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi there, 

I'm looking to bulk create a handful of training sessions based off an initial kickoff date. I have a table of training sessions and a template table with an offset from the first session. 

Most trainings run on a regular basis, but sometimes we need to reschedule. For this reason, I need the result to be a normal, editable field (not a formula I can't touch). 

I am using automations to create the number of sessions I need. I also have an automation to populate the first training session based on a value on another table that will be entered manually. 

I can't figure out how to populate the subsequent dates for sessions based off an offset. I tried a DATEADD() formula to sum my duration field (the offset) with the original date, but that didn't work. In plain English, if session 1 is today, session 2 will be next week in the same time and place, session 3 will be 2 weeks from today, etc. 

Any ideas? I appreciate the help!

4 Replies 4

Hello,

I am not sure that I fully understood your request, hence my apologies if my answer is not relevant.

Consider the following table:

Pascal_Gallais_0-1721977384545.png

I isolated session numbers in the field "Session number". 

I also isolated the session Title in field Title; so that my primary key "Meeting Title" is a formula:

Title & " Session" & {Session Number}

Field "S1 Date" is a calendar field containing the date for the first session and must be populated with the same value for all sessions of the same event.

field "meeting" date is the actual session date and is the following formula:

DATEADD({S1 Date},({Session Number}-1)*7,'days')

If it does answer your question, you will need to modify your automations to populate fields "Title", "Session Number" and "S1 Date".

Regards,

Pascal

Just to complete my answer, an easy way to maintain your "sessions" table would be to have a "master session" table with the information "Title" and "S1 Date" and a "Detailed sessions" table linked to "master session" so that fields "Title" and "S1 Date" are lookups field and hence automatically populated.

Doing this way, you could also have a numeric field "Number of sessions" in the master table and an automation to create the records in the "detailed sessions" table.

Regards,

Pascal

ajhjcpdowntown
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi @Pascal_Gallais- , thank you so much. 

I already had the primary key as a formula and isolated the session number per your recommendation. I'm not sure that the rest answers my question, because the whole point is that I don't want a master list of all of the start dates. I do have a template table that my automation is referencing to create the records in my screenshot below. It does not have the start date because those are unique to each student. 

The situation here is that I am scheduling (in bulk) tutoring appointments for students. There are a fixed number per student, booked all at once based on the first session. They're usually at the same time, but I need to be able to adjust for one-off conflicts which is why a straight formula field doesn't work for me. 

In this case, I am looking to fill in the Meeting Start column in a way that allows me to edit the individual fields after. Do you have any other ideas that might be able to help with this?

Thanks so much

Maybe you could keep the formula field and call it "computed date" and then add another field called "meeting date" that you initiate via an automation with the value "computed date".

This way your meeting dates are inititiated as required but still editable.

Be carefull though, if you modify the date of session 1 it will have an impact on all computed dates. The way to manage it as you want depends on how you set up your automations.

Regards,

Pascal