Help

Re: Updating a record using automations - Replaces the previous tag!

Solved
Jump to Solution
1027 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MegKrashCourse
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi All! 

So I have set up an automation that adds a tag to my "Status" column (which is a multiple select column) when a certain checkbox is ticked as true. The automation seems to run fine, BUT, it replaces any previous tags in the "Status" column that were there beforehand. 

Is there a way to prevent the new tag from replacing the previous tag and just adding a new one? I did do some research and it looks like in previous versions of Airtable, one could select "Append" in the action section of the automation set up, but that doesnt seem to be an option now? 

Anyone got any pointers for me please? x

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

No, there was never an Append action. You can do your own append by doing this:

In your “update record” action for the multiselect field, click on the gear in the right and choose dynamic values.

Insert the new value first, then type a comma, then insert the entire multiselect field from the triggering step.

See screenshot below for how this would look.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

IMG_0343.jpeg

See Solution in Thread

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As I mentioned above, you will need to click on the gear and choose Dynamic.

See Solution in Thread

5 Replies 5
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

No, there was never an Append action. You can do your own append by doing this:

In your “update record” action for the multiselect field, click on the gear in the right and choose dynamic values.

Insert the new value first, then type a comma, then insert the entire multiselect field from the triggering step.

See screenshot below for how this would look.

Hope this helps! If you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you with anything Airtable-related, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consultant — ScottWorld 

IMG_0343.jpeg

MegKrashCourse

Hey @ScottWorld ! Thank you for the help! 

So mine seems to be slightly different - I dont have the option to type anything in the fields: 

MegKrashCourse_0-1712836308789.png

I can only select the current options in my multiselect - it doesnt allow me to use commas or write 😞 Any workaround here? x

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

As I mentioned above, you will need to click on the gear and choose Dynamic.

Amazing! Thank you so much!

You’re welcome! Glad I could help! 🙂