737 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Rabbi_Yaacov_Se
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I am a bit confused. This might not be complicated. 

I have two ppl submitting a form and I want to be able merge some of the data. How would I do that? Can I use an automation to update one of the records? But then, how do I match the two entries so it knows what to merge?

5 Replies 5
Rabbi_Yaacov_Se
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Or is there a way to have a script the merges all info in two fields when certain criteria is met?

Hello @Rabbi_Yaacov_Se 

To achieve this in Airtable couple of steps you need to follow

The first and most important thing is to define your criteria for merging records.

• Set automation when the form is submitted
  • After the form is submitted Automation script is checked for that specific submitted data into the table based on criteria.
  • If the criteria match(rows found) then the script will merge data in a specific row and remove another one.

Important Notes:

Automation Script has a limit of 30 seconds to execute all the code and process things so if the table has a large amount of rows to search and check. Sometimes it goes time-out without complete operations.

@Rabbi_Yaacov_Se 

As you’ve discovered, Airtable’s forms can’t be natively used to update existing records, so you would have to create your own advanced automations to try to update & merge records after the form is submitted. That is very challenging and is prone to errors, and it often requires scripting or using Make’s Airtable automations.

If you pay for these users to have Airtable accounts, you can simply create an interface for them to update records.

Otherwise, if you want to do all of this with a form, the much simpler & much better & much quicker way of doing this would be to simply use Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable. Fillout offers the ability to update existing Airtable records from a form, and it is 100% free to use.

Thanks. Based on your suggestion, I am using this! It is working. 

Apparently there is a way to do this within Airtable, but I didnt understand the instructions. 

https://support.airtable.com/docs/use-case-update-records-via-a-form

I got an error message when trying to add the formula. Not sure what I was doing wrong. 

I like this! It is more elegant than what I did. But I don't know how to write the script.