cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
James_Quek
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hi. Would appreciate some help here.

I have a Junction table (Table 3 - created from the “Create junction table” app) combining Table 1 and Table 2.

Just realised that if I run the app, new records or deleted records in Table 1 or Table 2 will also update Table 3 ( :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: ).

Challenge is, can I do this automatically (without pressing “RUN” and agreeing whether to “Proceed?”)

Can this be done in the background (as an automation, triggered upon new record) or can we schedule the app to run at a certain time?

Thanks for any advice.

regards
jamesquek

7 Replies 7

Unfortunately apps can’t be triggered via automations or scheduled to run at certain times. It’s a great idea, though. I recommend writing to Airtable support to suggest it. In the meantime, manually running the app is the only option.

Zion_Brock
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Upvoting this. I can’t believe this isn’t automated already.

Is it possible to take the script from the Junction Table App, and add it to an automation? If so, can someone show how to do this?

Are you referring to the Junction Assistant app created by @Kamille_Parks ? That’s a custom app, not a script. There’s no way to access the code, and even if you could, it would require serious retooling because coding for custom apps is different than coding for an automation. Yes, there are some similarities and certain pieces of the code might work unmodified, but the vast majority of it would need to change (or be deleted).

If Junction Assistant isn’t what you’re referring to, please clarify.

I think he may be referring to a script, and not my app.

@Zion_Brock can you post a link to exactly what script or app you’re trying to automate? There are dozens of solutions out there that do something or other with junction tables, and some are easier to automate than others.

If you were in fact referring to Junction Assistant, one could accomplish something similar but worse with an Automation script. I say worse because the point of my app, specifically, is for use cases where junction records need to be created in a careful/irregular manner which does not translate well to automation. If the number of and field values for the new junction records you’re creating is predictable to the point it can be automated, you may be better off with tweaking one of the various scripts out there.

Zion_Brock
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Screen Shot 2022-05-23 at 8.16.53 PM
This is the one I’m talking about. It works perfectly for what I want. Even tho it says it’s a “script” it ends up installing as an app. To run this, you have to literally hit the “Run” button each time.

What I’m trying to do is do exactly that this “script/app” thing does, but be triggered by the deletion or addition of a new record.

Looks like you are talking about it on this thread. (This is mostly to let Kamille and future readers know that there are two threads with the same topic and there is more info on the other thread. Of course, Kamille probably already knows about the other thread because she is a fabulous member of this community.)

For your reference: That is in fact a script, run by the Scripting App. A script in Airtable is either run via the Scripting App or via the “Run a script” action within an Automation.