Help

Re: Webhook is sending an array, how do I parse that to a string?

1110 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Wraldpyk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all,

An incoming webhook I’m using for automation is sending an array, and I want to display this as a string. I found array functions for Airtable which would fit my need, but it seems those are not parsed in the “create record” action functionality when configuring this automation.

Is there anything I can do to use this property?

Also, when I pick the “insert as grid/list” options I get a popup with “An error has occurred”. But maybe I have the field type wrong? So if I can get that one to work that would be awesome too.

5 Replies 5

Welcome to the community, @Wraldpyk! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: It’s not clear what you mean about wanting to display the array as a string, but there are several ways to pull this off:

• If you want the array contents inserted into a field, just insert the array directly into a text field, and Airtable will auto-convert it to a string of comma-separated items.
  • If you want to use the converted string in a later automation step—e.g. sending an email—you could insert a “Run script” action that could do the conversion and output a string that could be used in later actions, but this action type will only be available if your base is in a Pro-plan workspace or higher.
  • If you aren’t able to run a script, an alternative option would be to insert the array into a record field, then retrieve the converted string for later use in the automation.
Wraldpyk
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks so much for responding. I can’t use a script as I don’t have a paid plan currently, but it doesn’t automatically turn to a string, unfortunately.

"Fields" could not be converted to a string.

So I checked again, and apparently it’s an array of objects. Any idea how to handle that?

Unfortunately JavaScript objects can only be handled by scripts.

What’s the source of the webhook call? There may be a way to process the data before calling Airtable so that you have an array of strings and not objects.

Ah that is too bad, I’ll try to figure out a way to do it from the source, which is JIRA Webhook in automation. There’s a way to customize data.

Thanks for your help! Once I have an MVP and it is worthwhile we might get premium, but for now it’s a trial phase.

You may also want to check out what my clients are doing, which is using Integromat’s Jira integration: