cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mike_Ball
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Hello

I have two tables Customers and Orders. They both have a CustID to link the order to the customer that placed it.

I need to import a CSV file to Orders and this includes the CustID

I can import as a regular field but can't figure out how to import it and have the Link to the customer table

Thanks in advance for any help
Mike

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, the very strange thing about Airtable is that its own native CSV import functionality doesn’t let you import data into linked record fields. It feels like a major bug to me, which you can report to support@airtable.com

However, you can install the CSV Import Extension, and that WILL actually allow you to import data into linked record fields.

Also, if you need to do automated CSV imports on a regular basis, you can do that with Make’s automations and integrations. I demonstrate how to do this on this Airtable podcast episode.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yeah, the very strange thing about Airtable is that its own native CSV import functionality doesn’t let you import data into linked record fields. It feels like a major bug to me, which you can report to support@airtable.com

However, you can install the CSV Import Extension, and that WILL actually allow you to import data into linked record fields.

Also, if you need to do automated CSV imports on a regular basis, you can do that with Make’s automations and integrations. I demonstrate how to do this on this Airtable podcast episode.

Thanks again Scott.  That is a massive oversight! 

My customer has an industry specific CRM with no API and only CSV export. We want to hold data for Make to report and send messages to customers who haven't bought for a while etc.

I'm Make certified and will also take a look at your podcast

Really appreciate your efforts and time to help

ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Hi Mike,

You’re welcome!

And that’s awesome that you’re Make certified as well! 😎🙌

My technique that I demonstrate on the podcast is that you can have them export the CSV file and drop it into a cloud drive folder, and then the data will automatically get imported into Airtable.