Help

Re: Is it possible to add a vote/like button to a public air table (without the need to have collaborators)

3328 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Emanuele_Ianni
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello,

first of all I do have a dev background, so I’m open to implement something my self.
Anyway, I wanted to create a product roadmap with airtable and let my stakeholder vote/like on it.

There are two open points with this:

• have a button so that you can click vote
  • allow non collaborators to click this button (this is not done to avoid paying for the appropriate plan, it’s just because my stakeholders are not part of the team so it would not make sense to involve them as collaborator)

I know I can use airtable API but that means creating a complete adhoc solution, my initial idea would be to just share the link to an Airtable that you cannot edit. You can only click on the button if you like it.

Thanks,
E

8 Replies 8

Welcome to the community, @Emanuele_Ianni!

This is what the “form view” is for in Airtable. It enables non-collaborators to submit new records into your database.

Each product idea that you want your stakeholders to vote on would simply need to be its own field in your Airtable base.

And you could customize each field any way you want: As a Checkbox field (and you could even use cool symbols, like a thumbs up/thumbs down), as a Rating field, as a Single Select field, etc.

Then, just put those fields onto a form and share the form link with your stakeholders.

Emanuele_Ianni

Thanks for the warm welcome!

Ok, just to be clear, are you saying to send them a survey?
I wanted actually something different, like even show the current vote count.

Yes, that would be very similar to sending them a blank survey form to fill out.

Unfortunately, there is no “direct way” to do what you are talking about natively in Airtable — showing them the current vote count. You could potentially do it if you linked your form’s table (the “voting” table) to another table (the “product ideas” table), and then showed them a list of linked records to choose from in the form (i.e. linked product ideas). Each product idea’s primary field could be a formula which shows the name of the product idea as well as the current count of votes, based on a rollup field which counts the number of votes in the voting table.

As you can see, this would take a little bit of time to setup, and this is the only way to do it natively in Airtable. Anything more complex than that, and you would need to turn to external tools to help you with this.

Do you mean something like this:

The button links to a form with the option prefilled.

Submitting the form redirects to the original page where you can see the updated vote counts.

Here is the live demo.

Kirk_N

Nice! Are you able to share the template for others to duplicate this?

Even though a user could rig a vote in their favor, this is a nice solution for starting community engagement with a logged out UX.

There are two tables: the [Choices] table and the [Votes] table. The two tables are joined with a linked record field. The [Votes] table contains the form that people use to enter their votes. As people enter their votes, the results are added up using conditional count fields. The buttons are "open url" buttons that have a formula that calculates the url that prefills the form with the proper linked choice and rating. You can use my Prefilled Forms extension to calculate the formula.

Kirk_N

Thank you, this is great! Very useful extension too!

Hi Kuovonne,

Thanks for your solution! I'm new to Airtable and wonder if it's possible for you to share the template? I saw you explained "how to" below but I still couldn't seem to figure it out : )