Help

Re: Limit record selection to a view - based on user?

Solved
Jump to Solution
1381 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
David_Beedle1
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

For a linked field, is there a way to limit record selection to a view based on the user?

• I have a Task table, with specific tasks for specific users.
  • I have a Time table, where a user selects the task
  • Depending on who the user is, I want the only the tasks meant to be available.

The only way I've been able to figure it out is to create multiple linked Task fields in the Time table. Not ideal.

Thanks, David

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bruceconsulting
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi David,

While you can't set permissions at the record level, a good work around is to create a form for each user to enter time for their tasks. 

You can limit the "user" field on the form to show only specific collaborators (you can choose, for example, Anne to be the only choice in the user field on Anne's form).  Then, you can limit your record selection in your "tasks" field on the form to a view (Anne's tasks) or when conditions are met (User is Anne).  

You can share each user's form with that user via a link.

If you want to talk about this further or if you ever need additional help, please schedule some time with me.  Here's my Calendly link: https://calendly.com/d/2d8-zcj-qyw/30-minute-meeting

Jody

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2

You should be able to do this in an interface.  You would need to set the records to ony the viewer’s records and then they would only see their tasks.

bruceconsulting
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi David,

While you can't set permissions at the record level, a good work around is to create a form for each user to enter time for their tasks. 

You can limit the "user" field on the form to show only specific collaborators (you can choose, for example, Anne to be the only choice in the user field on Anne's form).  Then, you can limit your record selection in your "tasks" field on the form to a view (Anne's tasks) or when conditions are met (User is Anne).  

You can share each user's form with that user via a link.

If you want to talk about this further or if you ever need additional help, please schedule some time with me.  Here's my Calendly link: https://calendly.com/d/2d8-zcj-qyw/30-minute-meeting

Jody