cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Vito_Mancini
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi all,

I have been playing with Airtable for a while now but not high level enough to figure out scripting yet. I’m a farmer and I’m looking to make an Airtable solution for my spray applications.

QA

I’ve got a few tables that hold the general info: ‘Blocks’, ‘Chemicals’, ‘Applicator’

I’ve got another table that is my ‘chemical manifest’. This one grabs the particulars from ‘Chemical’ and I add the particulars such as purchase date, amount etc…

The ‘JOB’ table is the workhorse. It allows me to record the ‘Blocks’ being treated with the ‘Chemical Manifest’ with which ‘Applicator’.

My limitations are:

1. Sometimes I add one chemical to a job, sometimes I add ten. I don’t want to add 10 sets of fields related to each ‘Chemical Manifest’
  2. My application rate’s are sometimes different than the general label rate on the chemical, I can’t figure out how to change the linked field (rather import the info and then change as needed)
  3. On entering the Job, I would like to reduce the Amount of available chemical from the manifest then once at 0, change the status to ‘finished’

I’m loving how you can burrow down on Airtable, looking at what blocks have had Jobs etc, very cool.

Are all of these tasks possible? Are there people out there who could assist me in achieving this?

Thanks again everyone!

Best regards,

Vito

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, you can achieve all of this, but you need to do it in a very specific way, which is known as a many-to-many relationship.

For example, if you’re adding 10 chemicals to a job:

Instead of 10 sets of fields in Chemical Manifest, you would need to create 10 new records in Chemical Manifest that are all linked to the same exact Job.

You would edit the details of each of the 10 chemical manifests by editing each one of the 10 records independently from one another.

Yes, if you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you, please feel free to contact me through my website:

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

Yes, you can achieve all of this, but you need to do it in a very specific way, which is known as a many-to-many relationship.

For example, if you’re adding 10 chemicals to a job:

Instead of 10 sets of fields in Chemical Manifest, you would need to create 10 new records in Chemical Manifest that are all linked to the same exact Job.

You would edit the details of each of the 10 chemical manifests by editing each one of the 10 records independently from one another.

Yes, if you have a budget for your project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you, please feel free to contact me through my website:

Ahhhh, the joy of data modelling in a #no-code world. I think we need a #no-thinking tool that does this automatically.

@ScottWorld is right - a field with the ability to select one or more chemicals for a given job is the answer.

I suspect that someone, somewhere in the world is already building such a tool. It would be a great resource, letting even more people create more apps. But I wouldn’t label it #no-thinking. Thinking is fun … if you get to choose what you think about.