544 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Kent_Signorini
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Is there a way to mark a linked record field as mandatory?

I have 3 tables like this:

Client (which is made up of people who belong to Branches)
Branch (which has people in it and has a link to the Company whose Branch it is)
Company (which contains Branches)

I want to ensure that if someone creates a new Client, they must assign them to a Branch, and that Branch must be assigned to a Company.

Can this be done in the tables directly?

Can this be done in an entry Form?

Can this be done in an Interface?

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

Fields can only be made to be required on a form.

I am not aware of a way to make fields mandatory other than on a form. There are a few things we do to let users know if something is mandatory.

Use emoji on the field name, you can find a list of usable emoji here: Emojis Database - Airtable Universe

You can also create a formula to look at each field in the record to see if there is an entry or not and display that to the user, or use record colors (if you are on a paid plan) to denote that all fields have not been completed.

Great ideas! :blush: :raised_hands: I totally forgot about mentioning these excellent ways to flag records as being incomplete in some way. :smiling_face_with_sunglasses: :muscle:

And as you have probably already figured out, @Kent_Signorini, you can also create a filtered view to show you the records which are missing field data.