398 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karen_Siugzda
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We've been using Airtable for several years to track our Marketing & Design projects. We have a "Designer" field that is a dropdown menu of Airtable user names to pick from.

I am now trying to mimic Airtable's Resource Allocation template to track team resources and team availability. However, I'm running into an issue since our system is based on the Designer filed pulling in Airtable user names, compared to the Resource Allocation template that uses a table of designer names (which would also include # hours a week worked, scheduled time off, etc)

How do I create a "bridge" that will look at the Designer field (username drop down) and tie it to the same person's name in the new Designer table so in addition to tracking each person's weekly hours, time off, it also connects to all jobs assigned to them?

Here's a video explanation of what I'm trying to accomplish.
https://app.screencast.com/kmTOnXsEluj56?tab=Details&conversation=AyA1GmOhWWJyOvctR5LtRj

2 Replies 2
Karen_Siugzda
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I may have found a solution. Still testing it out...

1. Create a new automation: Go to Automations and click "+ New Automation."
  2. Add a trigger: Choose "When record matches conditions" and set conditions based on the User field.
  3. Add an action: Select "Update record" to modify the lookup field based on the User field value.

Hmm, what if you made an automation that triggered whenever the "Designer" field is updated, and as long as it's not empty, paste the "Name" value into the linked field to the "Designer" table?

Screenshot 2024-07-11 at 10.37.06 AM.png