773 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dana_Selzer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

I'm setting up a project management system. Many, not all, of the tasks will have an assignee who completes the task and an approver who checks and approves the work. Is it best to set the task up as 1) one task with one 'assignee' field and one 'approver' field; 2) one task with two assignees in the same field; 3) two tasks...one as for doing the task and one for checking/approving the task. Maybe there are other options I've not considered. Thanks for your advice!

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
bruceconsulting
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Dana,

Either #1 or #3 would work.  With #1, you could create a status field with a "ready for review" option to help create views and automations.  With #3, you could create an automation that creates a new approval record when the original task record is closed.  

If you want to talk about this further or if you ever need additional help, please schedule some time with me.  Here's my Calendly link: https://calendly.com/d/2d5-cvz-6qc/30-minute-meeting

Jody

See Solution in Thread

Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @Dana_Selzer

There's many ways to approach this. The final answer is really dependent on the needs of your team.
It's possible to set up an approvals workflow, but these can get complex and bloated depending on your needs and how much time you're willing to put into implementation.

That being said, out of what you described, the simplest method would be to implement two fields, with one being for your task assignee and the other being for designating your reviewer.

See Solution in Thread

3 Replies 3
bruceconsulting
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hi Dana,

Either #1 or #3 would work.  With #1, you could create a status field with a "ready for review" option to help create views and automations.  With #3, you could create an automation that creates a new approval record when the original task record is closed.  

If you want to talk about this further or if you ever need additional help, please schedule some time with me.  Here's my Calendly link: https://calendly.com/d/2d5-cvz-6qc/30-minute-meeting

Jody

Ben_Young1
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hey @Dana_Selzer

There's many ways to approach this. The final answer is really dependent on the needs of your team.
It's possible to set up an approvals workflow, but these can get complex and bloated depending on your needs and how much time you're willing to put into implementation.

That being said, out of what you described, the simplest method would be to implement two fields, with one being for your task assignee and the other being for designating your reviewer.

Dana_Selzer
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

@Ben_Young1 @Kbruce Thank you both for the advice! I can see option 2 is definitely out and will ponder the other two.