Help

Re: Using a lookup to another table to populate the choices in a single select field in the original table

Solved
Jump to Solution
569 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Adam_Isler1
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have a table, called ‘Industry,’ with 2 columns of Industry type codes. The first column has many repeat values in it, the second column are unique values, for example:
Manufacturing Textile Mills
Manufacturing Apparel Manufacturing
Manufacturing Paper Manufacturing

In another table I have a column called ‘Industry level 1’ which contains values from the first column of the table above (Industry). I’d like to add a 2nd column to it that’s a single select that looks up the values available for Manufacturing and displays them as the choices for the 2nd column. I’ve seen a range of questions like this asked but none answered that didn’t invoke JSON and code. Is there some way to do this natively in AirTable? Thanks!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Pete
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey Adam,

Presently, Airtable doesn’t support conditional selection field options, as helpful as that feature would be. There isn’t really a workaround – I think you just need to list all select values in the same select field; you could color select options by their category to make it a bit easier to navigate.

Cheers.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Pete
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hey Adam,

Presently, Airtable doesn’t support conditional selection field options, as helpful as that feature would be. There isn’t really a workaround – I think you just need to list all select values in the same select field; you could color select options by their category to make it a bit easier to navigate.

Cheers.

Adam_Isler1

Thanks for the response. I did indeed figure a different approach in the end.