Help

Re: Create Single-Select / Multi-Select Field Options from Script

3734 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I’m guessing the answer is no, but is it possible to add a new option to a Single-Select or Multi-Select field programmatically from a script?

At first I tried to just brute force it - I tried to enter a string value for the Single-Select field via table.updateRecordAsync(). This is a way we can add new options via the main UI, although the UI presents a context menu for doing so.

Next, I tried to see if I could push() a new value into

table.getField("Single-Select Field").options.choices

but the API returns the options as immutable, since it’s a get[***]() function:

Any way to do this, or any plans to support it in the future?

14 Replies 14

Thanks, Kuovonne.

I ended up just including a message to inform the user to add the tag manually.

Thanks again.

I need this too. I have a use case where a linked table wouldn’t be a good solution.

Stephen_Orr
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Adding another use case - creating a new Kanban view column via scripting. Currently, Kanban views can only be driven by single-select and collaborator field types.

Side note: I so wish Kanban views could also be driven by one-to-one linked record fields. That would solve the use case above and allow for better task delegation in a Tasks table using a Kanban view as using the collaborator field type for task owner has its own limitations.

is this still the case? do you know of anyone who figured out a workaround (besides custom block)?
thank you!

No, Airtable has added the ability to create new select options using Scripting Extension (no scripting automation actions). See the documentation for more info.