Help

Re: Formula and API results display records in “reverse” order compared to the visual user inteface

1124 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I found a somewhat similar thread in the Support forum (Reordering Link to Another Table column items), however I think this is substantively different.

If I were to ask a user to manually order linked records by some criteria, they would intuitively place the “first” records at the top (or left) because that’s visually “first”. However, when fetching results via a formula or via the API the first record returned in the array is the “bottom” or “right” most record—what I think is the “last” record.

I understand that the newest record entered “pushes” the other records down/over. I don’t really have an issue with that. It’s just that I can’t think of any reason why the formula/API would show the last record first.

order.jpg

6 Replies 6
Andron_Ocean
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Just discovered this myself. It’s definitely odd behavior. I needed to grab the first linked item in a field via a function, and was confused why LEFT() wasn’t getting me what I wanted.

Don’t know if it’s possible to change this, but it certainly should be documented. Array order does matter sometimes.

Tom_Kerswill
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This seems really weird behavior! We use Airtable as the basis for producing documents, and users link sections into a list on Airtable. It makes intuitive sense that the topmost item would appear first in the API response (and also the document!)

Would make sense if order was reversed. Workaround is that we’ll do an array reverse in our system.

If this ever is fixed, I guess would be good to have new API version as would break existing apps using API…

Tom

CCTech
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just found that it relevant not to API only, but if you try to perform a formula on a linked field, it will appear opposite:
e.g. link field has following values: 1,2,3,4,5
the column with formula that simply references to the link field will show 5,4,3,2,1

This old quirk is being phased out. This article on
reordering record links has more info.

You have the option to reverse the order of a linked field now - at list on the pro version - natural order of Airtable is last left and first right. Now when you link fields you can chose to have first left last right.

wow thanks! works perfect!