2049 4
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zion_Brock
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Is there any way to search for emoticons (any of them) in a text field, and replace with something like a dash or space? Is there a code for emoticon that allows a formula to search for this?

Emojis and emoticons are often put into titles of blogs, but I am curating titles and creating url’s out of them, but want to remove any trace of these.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This is a great use case for regular expressions, and the regex engine that Airtable uses supports the [[:ascii:]] character class, which will only match normal ASCII characters: letters, numbers, and limited special characters, but no emojis. This formula will replace anything not in that category with an empty string, but you can use whatever substitute character you prefer.

REGEX_REPLACE(Title, "[^[:ascii:]] *", "")

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 12.15.10 PM

See Solution in Thread

4 Replies 4
Justin_Barrett
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

This is a great use case for regular expressions, and the regex engine that Airtable uses supports the [[:ascii:]] character class, which will only match normal ASCII characters: letters, numbers, and limited special characters, but no emojis. This formula will replace anything not in that category with an empty string, but you can use whatever substitute character you prefer.

REGEX_REPLACE(Title, "[^[:ascii:]] *", "")

Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 12.15.10 PM

Zion_Brock
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

This was exactly what I needed. You da man! Thank you soooooo much. :slightly_smiling_face:

MRauscher
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone, 

Thank you very much for the formula.

However, it also removes accents.
My canadien customer René now has a first name of Ren.

Is there a way to remove emojis and keep accents ?

This works even better for me:

REGEX_MATCH(Titel, '[^\\u0000-\\ud7ff\\ue000-\\uffff]')