5204 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tamas_Puskas
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey guys im really dumb in Excel, I need some help.

First column is the item, then next one I have records for each, that is the stock. I’m struggling for an hour to find a formula which COUNTS how many rows are there, therefore I have the exact numbers of the rows, which is the stock for each item.

Thanks!

21 Replies 21

Its still not working :frowning: but thank you very much.

Also I checked that guide, but I still dont really get it. It seems too complicated. I would like to work on one table only. I think you understood what I was trying to do.

To count the number of lines in your long text field, you can use this formula:

LEN({Field Name})-LEN(SUBSTITUTE({Field Name},"\n",""))+1

@ScottWorld

Don’t forget to wrap your formula in an IF statement, or your formula will say that blank records have 1 line.

IF({Field Name},
  LEN({Field Name})-LEN(SUBSTITUTE({Field Name},"\n",""))+1
)

Doesn’t work :frowning: what should I put in field name, based on my example above?

Does Scott’s original formula work for you? If it doesn’t, my formula won’t work either.

I was simply wrapping Scott’s formula in an if function.

doesnt really work :frowning: what should I put in field name

@Tamas_Puskas You have to put in the actual name of your field. What is the name of your field? Is it STOCK_? If it’s STOCK_, then you have to put in STOCK_.

Ohh nice, thank you so much!!! It works now. Only gotta take care of not pressing enter after last record, because that counts as one too

This is how more complex formulas get built.
This version will ignore if you press enter after the last line.

IF({Field Name},
  LEN(TRIM({Field Name}))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM({Field Name}),"\n",""))+1
)

WOW , thank you so much. This really made my life easier :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: thank you so much