cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello,
I'd like to create a Digital Planner like this one. It seems the Interface Designer lack of feature or may be I don't know how to do it.

JeanPhilippe_E_0-1703352844410.png

• TopLeft component should be a Record Picker but it seems AirTable only allow Select Box UI not Calendar UI (month) ?
  • Middle component should be Calendar UI (week). It can be  filter on current Record but the date can't be position to current record's date ... the visible range is 00h to 23h30 it can be narrow...
  • Left CheckList can be done with List filter on current record but can't resize title, only add a prefix field.
  • OK : Other fields, description, ... 
  • OK : Media field in Carousel

Any suggestion to improve the UI ?
Thanks !

6 Replies 6

As of 2023, that sort of an interface is not possible with Airtable. You might want to look at Claris FileMaker, which is a database programming language that offers all of that right out of the box. I was one of the top FileMaker developers for 30 years before becoming an expert Airtable consultant, so feel free to reach out to me through my website if you need a referral to an excellent FileMaker developer. 

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Thanks Scott, Claris looks cool (it brings me back 30 years ago on Mac, didn't know it evolve so much) but I won't change my stack (AirTable, NodeRed, Wordpres,...) , I believe it should be AirTable feature/improvement. And it almost works :

AirTable.jpg

I really think AirTable team should finish the job with Calendar widget. Very small improvements.

Aside of that they need to work on more complicated task:

• Interfaces are not available on Mobile App
  • There is no Script/API/Button to workaround Interface UI (I thinks it's hard to reinvent the web)
  • There is no whiteboard component (I start playing with http://fabricjs.com/ , I believe that mixing FabricJS with AirTable component would be a game changer...
Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Another easy feature, given the todo list (and all other widgets)

• Now: widget's source can be [Table Picker] or [Table] then if [Table Picker] you MUST select a subfield
  • Improvement: Subfield is optional AND in condition field you can filter according to Picker's field. for instance use StartDate and EndDate.

The ROI is that I can list all the TODO in the range of a start/end date of the picked record. That allow removing the reference between the Record and ToDo which is in some case very very clean.

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Another buggy Interface feature:

1. If you use a Record's widget "Field" (pills or card)
    • OK you can Create /Link/Unlink records
    • KO you can't filter what is displayed to a rules.
    • KO but you can narrow selection (so you can unlink record that you won't be able to add after)
  2. If you use  a Record's widget List, Gallery, Kanban, Calendar, Timeline or Grid
    • OK you can Create records 
    • KO you can't Link/Unlink records
    • OK you can filter what is displayed to a rules.

I don't understand why AirTable teams didn't put the same behaviors for all these UI... It a limitation that doesn't seems legitimate.

Jean-Philippe_E
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Yet another bug ...

• KO The [+] button in the bottom left of a calendar widget display a weird UI with few fields and a link to "Open in base" .
  • OK The [+] button on a Day display a clean UI with a way to expand the view to populate other fields according to the template.

It's an issue because this big [+] button bring user outside of the interface and create row that has no configuration, templates, etc ... where the smaller one could at least be edited to match filter conditions.

JeanPhilippe_E_0-1703543462558.png

Another weird behavior, in a list there is a checkbox, playing with UI it might keep or lost the check value. There is no action to perform on checked elements ?JeanPhilippe_E_0-1703722633689.png