Help

Creating records in elements with a linked record source is disabled?

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
Solved
Jump to Solution
2870 10
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
egordin
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Does anyone know why creating or linking records in elements with a linked record source is disabled (locked icon)? 

Right now, you see this when you mouse over those disabled buttons:

This feature is not currently available in Interfaces for elements with a linked record source

23.03.29.png

Because I do need a linked, filtered, and sorted list element with a record source, I came up with the solution of adding a record picker element, just purely for the  button that isn't disabled. 

I think the hover message means that the Airtable team is working on it, but not sure what the timing or issue is. Anyone know?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Vic_Airtable
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there,

Thanks for bringing this up! Our ProdDev team was able to confirm that we will be solving this problem as part of the new constrained layout version of Record Detail pages. We are on track to launch that in the latter half of the year 🎉 To stay on top of all things new at Airtable, please visit our What's new page.

See Solution in Thread

10 Replies 10
Vic_Airtable
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey there,

Thanks for bringing this up! Our ProdDev team was able to confirm that we will be solving this problem as part of the new constrained layout version of Record Detail pages. We are on track to launch that in the latter half of the year 🎉 To stay on top of all things new at Airtable, please visit our What's new page.

@Vic_Airtable- that's really exciting.

Can you confirm that the Prod Team are also resolving the same limitation that appears with the Grid View? Currently I'm having to chew up one automation just to create a record within my Interface Gridview.

The error I'm referring to:
"This feature is not currently available in Interfaces for elements with a linked record source" .

The below screenshot shows a Record List element that displays Running Events - typically only one event is managed at a time.

Karlstens_0-1680832780020.png

Each event starts off blank as runners sign up for the race during the morning - and that's where this limitation is a real pain - we can't just add blank records and assign runners easily via the Grid Element on an interface.

So for now, I have a workaround which chews one Automation run per runner just to add them to the event.

Karlstens_1-1680832915291.png

Here's a snapshot of the automation workaround which carries out the desired behaviour - the operator clicks the button, a new record becomes available for them to configure with the runners details.

Karlstens_2-1680832986992.png

All we're really needing here, is the padlock icon removed from the Grid View element, and the Grid View to allow new members to be added to the active event within the Record List.

Hi @Vic_Airtable!

Thank you so much for the update - it helps to have even a rough idea of the timeframe to resolve this. Is any information posted about the "new constrained layout version of Record Detail pages?" I'd love to know what else that entails!

Vic_Airtable
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Karlstens! Thanks for layout out your need so clearly! I've shared this feedback with our ProdDev team. This is a problem we are hoping to solve as well, but a timeline for doing so hasn't yet been determined.

Hi @egordin at this time, we don't have customer-facing information to share about this feature, but we typically have articles published as soon as the feature is made available! 

To stay on top of all things new at Airtable, please visit our What's new page.

Calvin_Young2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

We are similarly implementing hacky workarounds to add records.  Very much looking forward to having this resolved.

It would be really helpful to change the tooltip to more clearly state that this is a temporary inconvenience due to technical limitations -- otherwise it just feels like a really odd design choice from the dev team.

Sorry was this solved as indicated in 2023? I seem to be getting the same issue, with a padlock even though I have allowed adding of records in permissions

Yes, from memory this feature has been added - but I can't test until this weekend to check it.

Calvin_Young2
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

The feature has indeed been added -- but my team is still using the "sloppy workaround" (which @egordin points to in green) so that we can create new records using the Form Submission feature.  Otherwise, clicking the newly unlocked "Add Record" buttons (which @egordin points to in red) simply creates a blank record.  

Why we need to use the record picker to achieve this.. eludes me.  @Vic_Airtable could you pass that feedback along to the development team?  

Still seems to be confusing me, seems to work when I have a list or table in single interface, but when I embed an element list into another tables interface with a linked field seems to be locked. 

Might be user error, I'll check the data. 

petererceg
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Fixed, was my error, didn't have match to multiple selected in the link between tables.