Help

Re: Interface - My record selector always displays the first record, instead of appearing blank

Solved
Jump to Solution
1038 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DataGuru
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

As I create Interfaces for my database, I noticed that my record selector box for my source table, always defaults to the earliest record.  I need it to appear blank, when I first open the table's Interface.   

Is there a setting that I need to change, or is an "unwanted" feature of the Airtable Interface?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Testing this out in my "Wonkmo Wundy Candyface Manufacturer 🍭" interface - If you corrupt the Record Picker default selection within the URL, it will load the primary record with the Record Picker selection awaiting input, rather than defaulting to a record.

Karlstens_2-1674338532686.png

Karlstens_1-1674338459044.png

Note how upon corrupting the record pickers target record within the URL with 14 dummy characters (recXXXXXXXXXXXXXX), it now defaults to "Select ..."

Karlstens_3-1674338664701.png

This is useful where some workflows call upon an interface that needs to load with the record picker blank. However, in this case, if the primary record selector on the left is used, the Record Picker returns to its default record selection behaviour, which might not be desired.

I absolutely love the power of Record Picker, however, it's lacking features and granular control to make it next level - so I highly recommend writing a Feature Request to Airtable with your ideas to improve the Record Picker element.

I would personally love the ability to hide the picker, but still have it operating (defaulting to the first record in the Link List) whilst in its hidden state.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
Karlstens
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Testing this out in my "Wonkmo Wundy Candyface Manufacturer 🍭" interface - If you corrupt the Record Picker default selection within the URL, it will load the primary record with the Record Picker selection awaiting input, rather than defaulting to a record.

Karlstens_2-1674338532686.png

Karlstens_1-1674338459044.png

Note how upon corrupting the record pickers target record within the URL with 14 dummy characters (recXXXXXXXXXXXXXX), it now defaults to "Select ..."

Karlstens_3-1674338664701.png

This is useful where some workflows call upon an interface that needs to load with the record picker blank. However, in this case, if the primary record selector on the left is used, the Record Picker returns to its default record selection behaviour, which might not be desired.

I absolutely love the power of Record Picker, however, it's lacking features and granular control to make it next level - so I highly recommend writing a Feature Request to Airtable with your ideas to improve the Record Picker element.

I would personally love the ability to hide the picker, but still have it operating (defaulting to the first record in the Link List) whilst in its hidden state.

Thanks for your feedback.  I did as you suggested, however the updated URL doesn't take, so I continue getting the same behavior.  I will contact Airtable directly on this issues.  Thanks again.