257 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SR
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Is there a way/hack to select the same object multiple times in multiple-select? I'm collecting information about tickets and some individuals' have multiple tickets of the same type. Thanks!

2 Replies 2
ScottWorld
18 - Pluto
18 - Pluto

No, you would need to restructure your entire database as a “many-to-many relationship”, which is a more complicated type of database setup that requires 3 tables (instead of 1 table or 2 tables).

You can read more about many-to-many relationships in Airtable’s support document here. https://support.airtable.com/docs/understanding-linked-record-relationships-in-airtable

p.s. If your company has a budget for this project and you’d like to hire an expert Airtable consultant to help you set all of this up for you, please feel free to contact me through my website: Airtable consulting — ScottWorld

many-to-many relationships doesn't even address OP's issue. What they want is the ability to have *repeated* option in the field. Say [Author A] [Author A] [Author A]. In many-to-many relationsips you still can't do that, for it allows multiple but still only distinct options in one field -- linking records like [Author A] [Author B] [Author C] is possible, but that suggested earlier is not.

I have a similar use case. My entries have some recursive/multi-layer characterstics, and I'm hoping to use multi-select to encode it, like: at the first layer, it has A property; on the second, it has B; on the third, well it can be A again. I wish to use a selectible field because the characteristics of the layers belong to a limited set, so it'd be a huge convenience to have them listed as dropdown options rather than entering them as plain text.

I suppose I could create a column for each layer, but I'm not really liking this solution as the number of layers in each entry is not a constant, nor is there really an upper bound to the number of layers permissible.