Help

Save the date! Join us on October 16 for our Product Ops launch event. Register here.

Sorting Groups in record interface

Topic Labels: Interface Designer
91 6
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
olausenn
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hi, 

I have an interface where I want to sort produced goods that i´ve grouped several times. 

First group is "production month" and second group is "production day" and then they are sorted by the hour. 

In default, the groups are sorted from oldest to newest and I can´t seem to reverse this with the "sort" option in edit mode. 

An example: 

Produced goods:
2024-09-10 10:00 and 12:00
2024-09-10 15:00 and 17:00
2024-10-20 11:00 and 14:00
2024-10-30 16:00 and 18:00

I want to be able to group them firstly by month, so I can display one month at a time in the list on the left. 
Then I want to group them by day, so I can display one day at a time in that month. 
Lastly I want the records to be sorted from newest to oldest in that day. 
These things I have achieved. 

What I cant do is to sort the months and the days in order of newest to oldest. 

This is what I want, but I get it other way around and cant seem to change it: 

2024-10
     2024-10-30
          2024-10-30 18:00
          2024-10-30 16:00
   2024-10-20
          2024-10-20 14:00
          2024-10-20 16:00

Please help!

6 Replies 6
JuniorL
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hey! Have you created a formula field that extracts the month number from your date? This will help in sorting months correctly. Same for the production date, create a field to extract the day number. This way you can group per field and sort within groups. 

Hope this helps! 

Junior L.
Founder and Consultant at Waybase Studio
olausenn

Actually I have done this.. ive used formula field and datetimeformat allowing me to group them all accordingly

But then the sorting function in the interface wont affect the groups no matter how I arrange them.. 

olausenn_0-1728993101675.png

JuniorL
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Sometimes, re-creating the groups can refresh the sorting behavior. Delete the existing groups and create them again in the desired order, does that work? 

Or if this still doesn't work, consider creating a new view with a simpler structure for testing:

Create a new table view with only the necessary fields.
Set up basic grouping by month and day.
Test sorting functionality to see if it behaves differently.
This can help isolate whether it's an issue with your current setup or a broader limitation within Airtable's interface.

Let me know if this helps. 

Junior L.
Founder and Consultant at Waybase Studio

Hmm, does this look right?  Not sure how your data's set up though
Screenshot 2024-10-15 at 9.22.42 PM.png

Link to base

This does look like what I am aiming for, but from what I can this this is a list? 

I would like to make it fork for a "record review" interface..
By all logic, it should work - but it doesnt.. 😞 

You know what - I just tried making a list interface like the one you´re showing - it doesn´t work.. 

olausenn_0-1729000161522.png