529 1
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
RonniEloff_VKDe
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

I am working on helping to solve a paper problem to digital solution (The client had a paper template for tracking clients in various states)

I have

Table 1 Contacts: Fields are:Full Name, first name, last name, phone, email, type of client and date added ( the date contact engaged with the client).

I created a nice interface form with first name, last name, phone, email, type of client and date added 

The primary field Full Name is a function of creating Last Name, First for the record.

Client loves it.

I am making an Activities Table to track activities around the clients and create a form to help with adding that information to the Table.  However, I am using lookup Full Name from Contacts to be able to select the client and start the form out with some pre-populated information.

If I manually select in the VIEWS side of the Table  Lookup full name - the selected additional fields are auto-populated with the data  (specifically phone and email address from Contacts) with new record

Problem is the Interface Form designer doesn't let me add the fields (specifically phone and email address from Contacts) that I want to pre-populate. 

What am I missing here?

3 Replies 3
Juliana
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi Ronni! Based on the sound of things, the interface form is based in Activities and you're looking to add the lookup fields to the form itself—is that correct? If so, since lookup fields are computed fields, these are unable to be added to the form itself, but if the linked record to Contacts is chosen on the form, the submission will populate the lookups you have in-base with the relevant info (e.g., phone, email, etc). Let me know if you're looking to accomplish something different with this; happy to take a closer look!

@Juliana wrote:

Hi Ronni! Based on the sound of things, the interface form is based in Activities and you're looking to add the lookup fields to the form itself—is that correct? 

Thanks @Juliana for a response.   

Yes, that is the case . I am are moving the client off of Googles forms (I didn't do the work so I have no idea how it was done) it does this. 

You select the Customer (search)  - and it auto populates the phone field to display that customer's phone number since most of the activities here are calling the customer back.

I need to provide that kind of support in the interface.  The phone number is already in the Customer Table,

I understand that the interface form entry is in a 'non-entered state in the table'  however is there a setting I can do on that field to allow the Customer (the person making the calls) to open the Contact information and view the details in a read only format?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or assistance.

Thank you so much for outlining this for me further! If you'd like for the linked field to show specific data for the form users to reference, you could technically add to the concatenate function in the other table's primary field to add the phone number alongside their names as a reference point (as seen here in this example base and here in an interface form). Alternatively, you can separately make another interface page for them to reference that displays the other table's data. Hoping one of these can help do the trick here!