699 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jay_Stuart
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a database with numerous tables. Each table will be populated with auction items under the table name, eg paintings will be in the “Art” table, Childrens items will be in "Children"s Table , ETC.
I want to have auto number assign a number to each item as they are entered into the database.
How do I get each table to have a unique number or letter assigned to each table?
Foe example A1 could be Art, C1 For Children’s etc.

Any ideas?

4 Replies 4

Welcome to the community, @Jay_Stuart! :grinning_face_with_big_eyes: If I understand you correctly, you’re trying to add an alpha prefix to the autonumber to create a unique ID, so that things in the [Children's] table would be marked C1, C2, C3, etc. If that’s correct, this can be done with two fields: the autonumber field—which can remain hidden after setup—and a formula field to tack the letter of your choice onto the front. If the autonumber field is named {Autonumber}, the formula in the {ID} field would be:

"C" & Autonumber

Screen Shot 2019-12-14 at 10.15.46 PM

Is that what you want?

Jay_Stuart
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thanks Justin
I redid the gris so the auto number was hidden, However in the formula I used;
CONCATENATE(‘A’, {Autonumber})
It works like I wanted it to work.
Now I have an issue I’m not sure what to do.
A form will be used to enter the items into the database and when the form is submitted the item will be given a number via Autonumber. I need to be able to have the person entering the item to be given the generated number so it can be placed on the item itself.
How do I do that without having the person go to the grid?

Ideas?

Airtable forms don’t offer any kind of post-submission feedback mechanism based on the newly-created record, so you’ll likely need to enlist the help of third-party tools. I’ve got one possible idea in mind that might work using Jotform, but part of its viability depends on a specific aspect of your use case: will you have multiple users creating new records at the same time using the same form?

Justin, I would like learn about what solution can be to the same thing. I want a recordID that refers to the table, ie Mytable(n), where n is the autonumber of that record. I have been been able to create it using concatenation but how do I communicate this to the user. I want to use it as their ID, subsequently for their use of the database.