Help

Re: Best way to organize data where only some rows require additional notes?

1483 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Heirtable
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Let’s say I have a list of Artist / Track / Link and I want to store it in Airtable. I know that would be easy with a 3 column table in some base.

But let’s say I wanted to add notes to some of the rows. For example, for some rows I might want to add extra information about the track. This would be for some rows but not all rows.

I know I could use a table with 4 columns, like this:

Track | Artist | Link | Notes

But if most of the Notes fields are going to be empty that seems like an odd/inefficient way to do this.

What is the best way to do this?
Thanks much.

33 Replies 33

I am aware of the limit on number of records, thank you. If need I can use more than one base for the information, entering using alphabetical order, for example, A-E, F-J, etc, Whether I shall need to go onto an enterprise workspace depends upon how many records i can consolidate, also how many duplicates i find as i wade through them.

I am used to copy and paste substantial volume one by one. An CSV expert would be impractical, partly because of how I have designed the FM database using repeating fields not as intended, and i would still have to tidy up the entries in AT.

I’ll look into that, thank you.

#ReallyOffTopicNow

Yep - I get it. The future is difficult for most people to see. This thread is young, but if you keep arguing against every logical point, the density and keywords will expand to create a mass that has its own gravitational force. If Airtable triples in size in the next 24 months do you really think the posts from experts in this forum will remain fewer than five-digits of views?

Over time, this post - like many before it - will probably have a reach north of 10,000 views. But the true number of views never was the point; we write for the benefit of a vast and rapidly growing audience - not just the questioner. Depending on the topic, that number is vastly bigger than the community member we’re trying to help.

No not upset by this tangent it was enjoyable to read. Always interesting to learn from those with detailed knowledge. RE the original question, seems experts agree to just add the column in the same table and empty cells be damned! Thx.