Help

Copying Hyperlinked Excel Data into Airtable?

Topic Labels: ImportingExporting
1814 5
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Liz_H
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to move data from Excel into Airtable. As users have mentioned in previous posts, when I do this, the data copies over without the link.

Right now, I’m not importing and instead just copying/pasting (importing messes things up with this file) from the Excel file into Airtable.

How can I retain the links? Would this involve the ‘Button’ field?
(The columns will be, for example, a list of recipe names where each name links to a different recipe)

Thank you!

5 Replies 5

Are you trying to retain hyperlinks, or linking between records?

For linking between records, you should just be able to import the data and then convert the field into a Link to Another Record field.

Hi! No, I am trying to retain hyperlinks.

Then you need to modify your Excel sheet to display the actual url in another column.

Liz_H
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Thank you for your suggestion! I’ll need a bit more help, though :frowning:

I saw this article posted in another thread, and I believe it’s a bit too technical for me. From what I’m reading, it’s suggesting two methods:

1. the first method is a manual method where you have to extract individual URLs. (This won’t work for me because I have hundreds of different hyperlinked URLs in my excel document that need to be moved over to Airtable)

2. the second method involves some type of backend coding with VBA? I tried following the steps for this method and ended up more confused than when I started.

What I’m looking for is a way to take hundreds of different hyperlinked cells and paste them into Airtable.

If there is no way to do this, then I’m willing to separate the hyperlinked items into two different columns (one being the name and the other being the link), I’d just need a way to do that on a larger scale.

Any help/pointers would be greatly appreciated!

To my knowledge, there is no other way around this limitation in Excel; Excel simply does not have a function to extract a link from a hyperlinked cell.

With hundreds of cells to do, your best bet is the VBA option. I would recommend looking at tutorials for extracting links. The linked article provides exactly what you need to copy into the VBA module.