Help

Re: Count the entries in a lookup field?

2586 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jezburrows
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hey there,

Is there some way to count the number of entries in a Lookup field in the same table?

I have a Lookup field called ‘Roles’—it references another field on the same sheet called ‘Movies’ and spits out a list of acting credits associated with those movies. I need to count how many credits there are, but the ‘Roles’ field doesn’t appear as an option in the Count drop-down. Is there some other way to do this? A formula maybe? Any help appreciated! Thanks!

Jez

48 Replies 48
Sean_Lake1
8 - Airtable Astronomer
8 - Airtable Astronomer

For me the field I require(the lookup field) isn’t an option on count nor rollup, so how am I to get a count if it’s not an option?

As you can see the lookup field that I want to get a count of total number in field, isn’t an option.(Attendees_Autogenerated)
Any ideas?

Base your count field on the same linked record field that the lookup field uses.

The attendee field has multiple entries ,comma separated, so the field it’s based on wouldn’t return the same number.

Really, there’s no simple formula for this?

=LEN(TRIM({attendee}))-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(TRIM({attendee}),",",""))+1

Yup, doesn’t work nor does a rollup, nor count field as the field we’re drawing from is a lookup field. Lookup fields seem difficult to access, except for maybe array related formulas.

@Sean_Lake1

Assuming I understood the issue; try this:

IF({attendee}&'',LEN({attendee}&'')-LEN(SUBSTITUTE({attendee}&'', ',', ''))+1)

LEN() returns the lenght of a string, not an array, but by adding &’’ at the end of a field name you get arround that issue.

Absolutely, largely because many users don’t realize that a lookup field is returning an array (i.e. a collection of values), not a single item (i.e. a string, a number, etc.). The solution mentioned by @momentsgoneby80 solves this problem. By concatenating the array with an empty string, Airtable converts the array to a string, and then processing by string functions works as expected.

You cannot base a count or a rollup off of a lookup field. You need to base it off of the same linked record field that the lookup field uses, and set the same conditions. If your {Attendees_Autogenerated} field is based off the {Attendees} field, then the count or rollup field needs to also be based off of the {Attendees} field.

Also, is it a lookup of an editable field, or a lookup of a lookup? A lookup of a lookup needs to be flattened before counting. COUNTALL(ARRAYFLATTEN(values))