29300 62
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Karl_Berggren
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I have a table where I want all new entries (rows) to have a default value for a single select column. Is that possible?

62 Replies 62

Yes I’m aware this fix exists. It’s the one I used. It is clunky, redundant and unnecessary.

I agree this is not clean or DRY. would be better if there was just a way to make a default for single selects

Lares_Munkholm
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

This would be really useful.

Management
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Why has this not been done yet? We need single select for the default column. Cmon airtable!

The newest workaround for setting a default value is to use an automation.

How have you been successful with this using automations? The trigger seems to give me the option that if “x” cell is blank, but the action seems to lead me nowhere. Do you know of a way for the action to autofill an option that I choose?

@Justin_Petersen I would use the trigger for “when a record is created”.

Justin_Petersen
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

@ScottWorld The trigger seems to work just fine (whether I am creating from a new record or triggering when the record matches conditions), it’s the action that I am just not getting. The action I am attempting to use is update record.

@Justin_Petersen You haven’t provided enough information. Do you have screenshots or a video?

Attila_Fulop
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Just discovered Airtable. Really neat tool. Strongly considering to become a paying customer and take our team of 7.
Field defaults feature is the very first thing I had to google for after I started transferring an existing app from google sheets/scripts. It should really be available, Airtable.

Oddly, some field types give you the ability to specify a default field value, but not others. For the others, you can now do it with Airtable Automations. Not the ideal workaround, but it definitely works.

I became a paying customer anyway :slightly_smiling_face:
Albeit I can live without defaults for select columns, it will be a nice addition once it’s gonna happen.

mdmtr
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Just adding my voice to this. Workarounds like Kuovonne’s are possible but this basic feature should be available. C’mon Airtable, it couldn’t possibly be this hard.

Casey_Nave
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

I was able to work around this in three ways. Sorry if i don’t type my explanation out well:

1. In form view, limit the number of “available” options to select and just pick the one you want to default to. Select ‘drop down’ and boom, its the only option by default in that form.
  2. Automation - Trigger - On New Record. Action - Write " Default " for field xx
  3. When grouping by a field, any new record in that grouping will default to the values of the fields grouped there by.
JM1234
5 - Automation Enthusiast

+1 on this as a feature

Joseph_Leveque

This would be a really nice addition! Have to go around with an automation for now

Brett_D
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

About time please Airtable!

Joanathan_McInt
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 on adding this feature.

Andre_Oldani
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

+1 for this simple yet powerful feature