cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
FelicianU
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hello, 

I'm fairly new to the paid version of Airtable and I've been able to figure out most of the features and automations I need. I'm specifically wondering (especially with the updates that have come out) if there's a way to validate entries and form conditions. 

Example: students input their e-mail address in a form. If it does not meet the condition of having their .edu e-mail address, there's no way to reset the form or put an error message up. I have tried putting a conditional field that it must include the .edu student address portion, and I made it a "check box" format with an error message. Students do not seem to read this and submit the form with incorrect data or the form not even being filled out. Is there a way to not allow the submission if certain things are incorrect?

Also with attachments, is there a way to condition that attachment to only accept certain types of files? 

Thank you!

5 Replies 5

> Is there a way to not allow the submission if certain things are incorrect?
I'm afraid not

>Also with attachments, is there a way to condition that attachment to only accept certain types of files? 
I'm afraid not

>I have tried putting a conditional field that it must include the .edu student address portion, and I made it a "check box" format with an error message. Students do not seem to read this and submit the form with incorrect data or the form not even being filled out.

I sighed involuntarily reading this; I feel your pain and I hope you manage to get this fixed soon so that you never have to deal with this again

You might want to look into another form service that has field validation (Jotform has it I believe) or the like and integrate it into Airtable

Thanks for the reply! Interesting that a platform such as this does not have those features. 

Is Jotform something I can integrate into Airtable? If so, do you know if it's free? We purposely bought a paid version of Airtable (which does help with some of the other restrictions we were facing with the free version) but I'm not able to spend more money from our budget paying for something else or switching platforms in the middle of the academic year unfortunately. 

Thanks for your comments! Much Appreciated! 😃

> Is Jotform something I can integrate into Airtable? If so, do you know if it's free?
Yeap, I believe you can integrate it.  Here's a link to a blog post they have about it

They do have a free tier, but it's limited to 100 submissions a month I'm afraid.  From what I understand, they also have the ability for you to restrict the file types for attachment fields too, so if the 100 submissions limit isn't an issue it should suit your needs perfectly!

Moe
10 - Mercury
10 - Mercury

Enforcing validation rules can also be done using miniExtensions Form. For example, you can set a condition that rejects any student email address that doesn't contains .edu

Screenshot 2023-05-12 at 8.40.45 PM.png

I would recommend checking out Fillout’s advanced forms for Airtable, which allow you to either create or update records in Airtable with a form. Fillout natively communicates with Airtable in real time, and gives tons of validation options that are all Airtable-specific. I gave a very brief demo of Fillout on this episode of the BuiltOnAir podcast.