Help

Re: Hiding columns, records, tables, or bases from employees (Basic restrictions)

834 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ian_Shaw
5 - Automation Enthusiast

I have seen several posts about this, but they are older.

I need to be able to limit the views at various levels for my employees. Per Airtable, you are supposed to have most data grouped together, and use views to filter it. But then there is no way to hide sensitive information from employees which makes all data available to all people. Crazy!

All I am trying to do is track projects, but I don’t want my entire company to have access to the financial info associated with each project. Basic basic stuff.

I am hoping this has been resolved as it is a pretty basic function. Competitors seem to have it figured out.

Airtable, if this is not available, when can we expect this basic function?

3 Replies 3

If they don’t need to edit the data, there are a few different ways to do this in Airtable. You could sync views to other bases, or share views via URL. There are probably other ways that I’m not thinking of as well.

If they need to edit the data, then you would need to use an external portal tool like the one offered by MiniExtensions.com. There are many other competitors as well, such as softr.io, pory.io, and more.

Ian_Shaw

I am looking into those solutions. They may have to do. I appreciate the list, I hadn’t heard of all of those.

My team obviously needs to change dates and make notes on the project records. But some of the data is the billing data and I don’t need my field team seeing my projections for the year based off active projects. But right now I can’t limit it. Seems SO BASIC. We came from Asana to airtable because Asana was so limiting…but Asana has this. Strange its still missing as a standard feature.

Hi Ian,

Airtable is a great database and so much more, but eventually when you need to go to that level of precision, it won’t be enough. I am also an avid user of Asana and Airtable, facing similar situations. As you say these seem to be so basic, however as the Airtable team is managing such broad product, it’s hard to make sure all use cases work are catered for - they might have hundreds of these.

Anyway, here’s a short video I created with Softr to show what the end result would like for something similar. It took me 2 minutes to create based on their Client Portal template.

You’ll be able to see that I will login as a client and as a manager, and depending on my role, I’ll have access to different information. All of it coming from Airtable.

You can watch the video here…
36f11c685d2c64059aa781ad66d52f23948eb8f8.gif

All of this data is coming from this Airtable base:

Let me know if this helps,
Cheers

P.S. Full disclaimer: I’ve recently joined the Softr team.