Help

Re: How to check edits (by an editor) before they are applied to a table?

2543 3
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Edward_Grenzig
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

How can I check the edits that an editor has made to a table, before the edits are actually applied to the table, as a security measure?

I need to have two to three people remotely work on the edits and updates to a table containing about 700 records. I am concerned that they could easily change some data in error, and I would like to be able to review there edits, before I actually approve the edits, to change the data permanently in the table. Is this possible in Airtable, or with some add on block? Maybe someone has an idea or suggestion? This seems like a common concern?

14 Replies 14
Creatrix_Tiara
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi!

I’ve got a similar situation and Googling led me here, though it doesn’t seem like there are any good solutions yet.

I’ve just imported a spreadsheet of video game recommendations for a Discord I’m in. What I’m hoping to do is allow members of this Discord to update the records on this sheet (e.g. adding more info about each game), but to have all updates approved by me before they go live, to avoid trolls.

I was previously using Google Sheets and used the Comment function for this. However, it got clunky really fast - I’d have to copy and paste each comment which was fiddly. I’ve seen a number of third party extensions that claim to do this (though not with the approval part) but they are either too pricey or no longer existing.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to make this viable?

Will people be updating existing records, or only adding new records via a form? If they are only adding new records via a form, the easiest thing to do is add a checkbox to mark when you approve the content of that new record. Then only publish info from a view filtered to show only records with the checkbox checked.

They’d be editing existing records as well as adding new records.

You can have a last modified by field to show who last edited the record. Then only publish the records where you are the last editor. If everything is okay, you can do some token edit just to get you listed as the most recent editor. The problem with this method is that the information will disappear until you edit it (depending on your publishing workflow).

The main issue is that once an edit is made, the publishing method no longer can get the previous value from the Airtable base.

How are you publishing your data?

I’m just going to have the table open for display, nothing special. It’d be just like sharing the public link to a Google Sheet.