1705 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Sam_Stamport
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Maybe this question has already been answered. However, I search for it and found nothing.

I'm a new user. Is there a way to make kanban boards more colorful like adding background colors? It seems that kanban boards are mostly black text on a white background when using Airtable on the web. It would be easier on the eyes if the white background could be changed to another color of my choosing. I'd also like to change background colors for each category and each task if possible.

Thanks.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
AirBenderMarcus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello,

If you're referring to the background color of the cards itself then you cannot edit that within Airtable itself. A lot of the visual customization features you might expect from something like Trello's Kanban board aren't presently available in Airtable. However, you can add a strip of color to the side of each card based on the color of options in a single select field or other criteria. You can also add images to the cards to distinguish between them that way. 

Here's a resource on how to apply coloring to Views: Record Coloring in Views - Overview | Airtable Support

See Solution in Thread

You could achieve this via Tampermonkey:

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 3.19.16 PM.png

The script I used for the above was:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Airtable - Change Kanban background
// @author       Adam - The Time Saving Company
// @match        https://airtable.com/*
// @grant        GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==
GM_addStyle('#kanbanView > div.white { background-color: aliceblue !important; }');

And here's a link to a thread where I talk about something else I did with Tampermonkey!

See Solution in Thread

7 Replies 7
AirBenderMarcus
7 - App Architect
7 - App Architect

Hello,

If you're referring to the background color of the cards itself then you cannot edit that within Airtable itself. A lot of the visual customization features you might expect from something like Trello's Kanban board aren't presently available in Airtable. However, you can add a strip of color to the side of each card based on the color of options in a single select field or other criteria. You can also add images to the cards to distinguish between them that way. 

Here's a resource on how to apply coloring to Views: Record Coloring in Views - Overview | Airtable Support

Sam_Stamport
6 - Interface Innovator
6 - Interface Innovator

Thanks.

I'm disappointed that coloring is not available.

You could achieve this via Tampermonkey:

Screenshot 2023-01-07 at 3.19.16 PM.png

The script I used for the above was:

// ==UserScript==
// @name         Airtable - Change Kanban background
// @author       Adam - The Time Saving Company
// @match        https://airtable.com/*
// @grant        GM_addStyle
// ==/UserScript==
GM_addStyle('#kanbanView > div.white { background-color: aliceblue !important; }');

And here's a link to a thread where I talk about something else I did with Tampermonkey!

Thanks for the Tampermonkey solution.

If I'm understanding Tampermonkey correctly, it only works in the browser. If I change colors in Airtable on the web will that propagate to the Android app?

Yeap, Tampermonkey's browser only I'm afraid

😥

Will changing the background image be implemented at any point in the future?