Help

Re: Possible to use automation to create a link between two records without deleting any existing links?

483 0
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
49erAllie
5 - Automation Enthusiast
5 - Automation Enthusiast

Hello!

I have a table for “teams” and a table for “tournaments”. There is a linked field between the two.

I want to create a button in a Glide app for my end user that allows them to “Register” their team for a specific tournament, but I can’t find a straightforward way to update a linked field to add a linked record that doesn’t clear out existing linked fields.

Example: When the administrator for the red team clicks a button on the tournament page, this tournament is added to their team’s list of tournaments in the “tournament” field and vice versa.

Because a team can register for multiple tournaments and tournaments can have multiple teams, I want to update this linked field without clearing out existing records in these fields.

Is this possible?

2 Replies 2

Yeap, you should be able to use the data from the record itself

Assuming your automation is triggering on the record that you want to update, it’d look something like this:

Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 5.02.14 PM
Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 5.02.16 PM
Screenshot 2022-11-07 at 5.02.24 PM

And here’s a link to the base so you can check out the input tokens yourself

@49erAllie Adam’s automation above will not work if the new entry is the very first entry in your linked record field.

You have to swap the 2 items in the linked record field: the new entry has to come first, and then type a comma, and then add the linked record field’s values afterwards.