1506 2
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jennifer_Willia
4 - Data Explorer
4 - Data Explorer

Hi! I imported an Excel spreadsheet into a new Base. When I did, some of the addresses and phone numbers had a question mark appear next to them. What is this and how can I get rid of it? 434-332-8227�

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Jennifer_Williams1,

Something else you can check is if the file is encoded in Unicode (UTF 😎 format. You’ll want to be sure you have that selected when exporting from Excel.

For certain programs (such as Mac Excel 2011) that don’t support UTF 8, another option is to simply copy/paste the data from Excel into Airtable (click here for a guide on this).

Another possible workaround is to convert the CSV file to a different encoding, by opening the CSV in Sublime Text (http://www.sublimetext.com). Then click File -> Save With Encoding -> UTF-8 LE with BOM.

See Solution in Thread

2 Replies 2
M_k
11 - Venus
11 - Venus

Hi @Jennifer_Williams1

I think this has to do with encoding, if I understand correctly, it has to do with origin of the data.

The other option would be to try Google Sheets and see if that might help.

Or perhaps you can take a look at this post for a possible solution.

Hope it helps.

Mary Kay

If this helps to resolve the issue, can you check mark the solution. Thank you! :grinning:

Jason
Airtable Employee
Airtable Employee

Hi @Jennifer_Williams1,

Something else you can check is if the file is encoded in Unicode (UTF 😎 format. You’ll want to be sure you have that selected when exporting from Excel.

For certain programs (such as Mac Excel 2011) that don’t support UTF 8, another option is to simply copy/paste the data from Excel into Airtable (click here for a guide on this).

Another possible workaround is to convert the CSV file to a different encoding, by opening the CSV in Sublime Text (http://www.sublimetext.com). Then click File -> Save With Encoding -> UTF-8 LE with BOM.